- Interview with the Bee Lady (Debbie Roos) In the fall of 2011 I interviewed an amazing woman, Debbie Roos, an Agricultural Extension Agent with North Carolina Cooperative Extension in Pittsboro, NC. Ms. Roos started a pollinator demonstration garden in Chatham County called the Chatham Mills “Pollinator Paradise” Garden.
- Month Long “Clean Eating” Challenge (Allyson Nealis) Allyson Nealis did a month-long “clean eating” challenge in September of 2012. She decided to cut out processed foods and preservatives from her diet. She ended up eating mostly whole foods instead. The idea behind eating whole foods is to get as many of the essential vitamins and minerals you can from your food, and hopefully improve your health and well being.
- Weekend Cooking Extravaganza (Stephanie Gupton) Stephanie Gupton and her family came up with this fantastic idea for working parents, or non-working parents. This “Cooking Extravaganza” idea is a fast, efficient way to cook a ton of your weekly meals, make sure those meals are healthy, plus spend quality time together. I asked her to give me the low down on how it works, mostly because I want to copy her, but also because I thought it might be a nice idea for other families who struggle to eat well during the hectic workweek.
- “We don’t eat animals. We just eat food.” (Colleen Streetman) The Streetmans are vegetarians with three beautiful boys 3 and under. Personally, I abstained from red meat (beef and pork) from age 12 to 27, for ‘save the world’ reasons. I also helped the environment by wearing a very trendy ‘Save the World’ pendant around my neck, it was huge, and instead of the words ‘world’, there was a small globe. Gah – what a nerd! One chilly, fall night while mountain biking with a good friend, I caved when I smelled a delicious cheeseburger. Forget saving the world, I wanted some beef. I may be selfish, but at least I’m honest about it. So kudos to the Streetmans, who are my heroes for making this choice and sticking with it, and raising some pretty darn cute vegetarians in the meantime.
- Reedy Rides (Jamie McDonough) Jamie McDonough took time out of her crazy, busy life to let me interview her. She is one of my personal fitness heroes, and she is an amazing person for many reasons as you will see when you read our interview. Check out the list of races she has completed, plus she mountain bikes, snowboards, and runs a bike shop. Oh, and on top of all that, has a lovely little family.
- Nutrition 101 (Betsy Templeton) I have so many questions about food, and most of the time I like to go out and research and find the answer myself, but sometimes it is nice to talk to an expert to clear up some things. I had the great pleasure of interviewing Betsy Templeton, a Health and Nutrition Coach in Carrboro, NC. I threw some random questions at her and she did a bang up job of following my train of thought. Be sure to check out her diet/exercise tips below for busy moms and dads.
- Meditation Tips and Tricks (Gwen Williamson) I interviewed my good friend, Gwen Williamson. She is a brilliant lawyer in Washington D.C., and has been working on meditation and yoga for over 3 years now. She has completely turned her world around using these techniques, and I wanted to know how she did it, and hopefully teach myself a few tips and tricks along the way.